WOODS WON’T VAPORIZE
A journey towards nature: a surreal dreamland dwelling in the soft connections of the forest ecosystem
One tree, two trees, three trees… woods.
A group of dancers together with a wide artistic team take us on a vibrant re-discovery of the forest within and around us – a complex and deeply interconnected system that lies beyond our comprehension in its own temporality.
WOODS WON’T VAPORIZE creates a surreal dreamland inspired by the forest ecosystem and the anatomy of trees. It invites you to stretch your roots, sense their mutual touch, ground yourself, imagine the decomposition of your tissues, feel the sap flow, and breathe. It is a reminder that while humans wage forest wars amongst each other, the forest continues to live its life cycles far from the human illusion of control. The woods won’t give up – they will stay – they will outlive us, they will not evaporate.
This cycle of dance works stems from a long-term, process-oriented artistic research. It offers recent graduates and students in their final year of dance studies one of their first professional experiences and access to a thick network of artists and venues. By creating on the go and interweaving with the audience in several different performance formats, WOODS WON’T VAPORIZE is organically morphing towards its final form.
Artistic direction and choreography:
- Alica Minárová
- Dorota Michalak, Alica Minar
Performance and creation:
- Adela Maharani, Eduard Adam Orzsulik, Helén Tamaskó, Lenka Vořechovská, Milena Romanenko, Neus Montané, Suze Vonk
Set and costume design:
- Anna Poleteli
- Zuzana Žabková
- Breeanne Saxton
Text and research:
- Katarína Bakošová
- Vi Huyen Tran
- Raquel Rosildete
- Areti Athanasopoulou
Set and costume design assistance:
- Hana Brandejs
- Zuna Kozánková, Erik Baláž
- Lauren Fitzgerald and Alica Minar & col.
- CO.LABS, Brno (CZ),
- Project partners: Tep 39, Praha (CZ), PO_KO_ŘEN, Praha (CZ), Přístav 18600, Praha (CZ), Uferstudios, Berlin (DE), Marzahn Movement Studios, Berlin (DE), OFF-Bühne Komplex, Chemnitz (DE)
- The artistic research of Dorota Michalak and Alica Minar was supported by the Performing Arts Fund with funds from the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media within the framework of NEUSTART KULTUR and HELLERAU – European Center for the Arts.
- The project is supported by the State Fund of Culture of the Czech Republic, the Czech-German Future Fund, the Prague City Hall, Erasmus+ Internship, the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic, the National Recovery Plan and the European Union.